COMPILATIONS: Bentley's Dance Classics 1995-1997 - listen


After many years of discovering all kinds of different music, I didn't ever think I'd have time to take a look back to my youth and the music that soundtracked it.

Back in the mid 1990's my dad Peter Scott was the manager of a venue in Corsham, Wiltshire and the name of that venue was Bentley's (named after it's big-spening owner). It was originally a sports and social club but expanded to a live music venue and nightclub. Catching glimpses of some of the DJs doing their thing there excited me as a 10 year old kid, and after my dad let me use some of the club's equipment to practice the art of club DJ-ing, I soon found myself with a regular Friday night slot, an incredible thing for a kid who had only just started secondary school. At the same time I had a major passion for indie and the Britpop scene of the time, but my DJ sets were mostly composed of the club anthems and floor fillers of the time.

Bentley's closed in 1997 when it was taken into administration and a few years on it was knocked down and turned into houses (which can be seen on the front sleeve of the compilation)

Here is a 3 part compilation of the dance tracks that I often played at the club, all (badly) mixed by myself after 14 years away from the decks. There's the brilliant stuff, like  Dex &; Jonesy's legendary reworking of Josh Wink's 'Higher State Of Consciousness' , Way Out West's stomping mix of The Orb's 'Toxygene' and BBE's classic 'Seven Days And One Week'. There's the rather dated ('Fable' by Robert Miles and JX's 'Son Of A Gun') there's stuff that I find rather boring and overlong now like Alcatraz's 'Give Me Luv', and then there's stuff that sounds utterly hideous such as Umboza's 'Sunshine' and the sleek but woefully shit 'Positive Vibration' by Black Box (yes, the same group responsible for 'Ride On Time'). This is a document of the music I played as a schoolboy club DJ back in the 1990's. some of you will enjoy it, some of you won't.

1

Pizzaman – Trippin' On Sunshine (Pizzaman Club Mix)
Klubbheads – Klubhopping (Edit)
Alcatraz – Give Me Luv (Original Mix)
David Bowie - Hallo Spaceboy (Remix)
pacific ocean - waterfall
Harmonix – Landslide (Radio Edit)
Robert Miles - Fable (Dream Version)
Hysteric Ego - Want Love
Heller & Farley Project – Ultra Flava

2

Tori Amos – Professional Widow (Armand's Star Trunk Funkin' Mix)
Josh Wink – Higher State Of Consciousness - dex and jonesy remix
Orb– Toxygene (Way Out West Mix)
B.B.E. – Seven Days And One Week (Original Mix)
way out west - the gift
Robert Miles – Children
chicane - saltwater
Stretch & Vern Present Maddog – I'm Alive (7" Eat Me Edit)
souvlaki - inferno (fired up mix)

3

Bucketheads – The Bomb! (These Sounds Fall Into My Mind)
U2 - Even Better Than The Real Thing - Perfecto Mix
Robin S. – Show Me Love
Livin' Joy – Dreamer
Donna Summer – I Feel Love (Rollo & Sister Bliss Monster Mix Radio Edit)
Jinny – Keep Warm
JX – Son Of A Gun
strike - u sure do
Blackbox – I Got The Vibration/A Positive Vibration
umboza - sunshine
De'Lacy – Hideaway (Deep Dish Remix)
Berri – Sunshine After The Rain

And you can listen to this 3 part mix below....


















If you ever went clubbing at Bentley's during the 90's, please post a comment and share your memories of the club.....

Comments



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...