REWIND: Blur - 'Sunday Sunday'

God Is In The TV's Britpop Month is running throughout February and will feature lots of the finest music from the 90's, and being the enthusiast I am, I have volunteered to pick the tracks that will feature as our daily Great Britpop Songs. A lack of spare time means that these choices will also feature as this month's REWIND selections. We'll begin with a track from one of the records that kicked it all off... 'Modern Life Is Rubbish' was my introduction to Blur, and out of their seven albums it ranks as my fourth favourite. It's undoubtedly stronger than the 1991 debut 'Leisure', more consistent than 'The Great Escape and of course, vastly superior to the Coxon-less 'Think Tank'. 

From my 'Musical Memories From 1994' piece (read it HERE) comes this recollection: "John Hanson was one of my Dad's friends, and me and my brother often used to go out on day trips with him and his son Wilf. I have great memories of those days, the laughs we used to have, and the brilliant music John would have on in the car. That's where I first heard Julian Cope and Jeff Buckley's 'Grace' album. He also played a lot of music by a singer called Matthew Sweet, one of Mick Jagger's solo albums and more importantly an Essex band called Blur. They had released an excellent album called 'Modern Life Is Rubbish', and something about these songs struck me. It was smart, intelligent and very catchy indeed. Every note appealed to me in a major way, and I was fully aware what I was hearing was a work of genius. I remember being so impressed I asked John to record me a copy onto tape, with tracks from Blur's first album 'Leisure' on side two. I didn't know it at the time, but lots of others were also discovering how awesome this band were, and something was beginning to happen. Something that would soon change the direction of popular music and inspire a generation of people to form bands..."

From it, here is the jaunty, nostalgia-evoking 'Sunday Sunday'.





Comments



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...