Rewind: Babybird - If You'll Be Mine

Like a sadder, superior, lo-fi relative of 'You're Gorgeous', this mesmerising beauty was released as a single 20 years ago today on 10th August 1998. Most of the general public remember Babybird for the overplayed, misunderstood 1996 smash hit that I just mentioned. Those who were paying more attention will instead often regard the 1998 album There's Something Going On as the Sheffield band's finest hour: a darker, more focused and accomplished album far more definitive of mastermind Stephen Jones' talents. 'If You'll Be Mine' reached number 28 in the UK singles chart.

Calling the intro dreamy would be the biggest understatement: it's more like waking up to the most beautiful, dazzling light. The song also plays the known Babybird trick of using sweet, beautiful melodies to disguise lyrics that are sad, dark, or sometimes strange. In this case we get poignancy wrapped in a warming, comforting blanket.

It's one of those songs that means so much to me, that I can't help but overthink when I'm writing about it, like no words can sum up that feeling, and that I need to give as much information as possible in order for people to understand its brilliance. I could probably write a whole book on it, and I still wouldn't feel like I'd given it the time it deserves.


Even though no words can do this song justice, that hasn't stopped me from writing an article celebrating 20 years of the amazing 'There's Something Going On'. It will be there for your reading pleasure in two weeks time. Babybird will be playing a short UK tour in December  and will be releasing a new double album 'Unsung' via Bandcamp next month in September. 



Comments



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...