REWIND: Oasis - 'The Masterplan'

Is this the greatest B-side ever recorded? Personally, I can't think of a better one. It was 1995, and Oasis had just released their second album '(What's The Story?) Morning Glory'. 'Wonderwall' took their success to mammoth new levels, but for me it's 'The Masterplan' that defines and evokes the imperial nature of the Britpop era. It just shows how much of a roll Noel Gallagher was on at the time when he felt like he could use a song as incredible as this as a mere extra track on a CD single. the fourth track on the CD single 

Over the years, Noel Gallagher has often named as one of the best songs he has ever written. He regrets the fact that it was first released as a mere B-side, admitting he was "young and stupid" at the time. He also claims that Creation Records boss, Alan McGee told Noel it was "too good" to be a B-side. Noel reportedly replied, "Well, I don't write shit songs!"

In Noel's words: "I was really fucking proud of it and I still am. It’s everybody’s favourite B-side. I think it’s the best song I’ve ever written. But I was gutted because Our Kid – who loves it, it’s one of his favourites – but he was just walking around going, ‘You fucking knobhead! Why did you write that now? Why couldn’t you have waited for a year so it could go on the next album? Or why didn’t you write it for the last album, you fucking dick!’ And he works himself up into a frenzy where he hates me for writing this great song at that particular point. And I’m going, ‘So basically what you’re saying is you love me and it’s a great song?’ ‘Yeah! You fucking knobhead!'” 

This week is Noel Gallagher Week on RW/FF, in celebration of his new album 'Chasing Yesterday'. Go HERE for more Noel/Oasis articles.



Comments



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...