1 To Z: The Adverts - 'Gary Gilmore's Eyes'

I haven't done one of these '1 To Z' entries for a while! Better get a move on, or at this rate I'll be in my grave before we even get halfway through the alphabet. Last time we had the Adequate Seven and even though this feature isn't strictly running in proper A-Z order we now arrive at punk icons The Adverts. I only own one Adverts album, a best of collection. But that'll do me for the time being. Releasing only two studio albums, they formed in 1976 and broke up in late 1979. They were one of the first punk bands to enjoy chart success in the UK, when this classic reached number 18 in the singles charts. The song is about the wishes of Gary Gilmore, a convicted murderer from the States who wanted his eyes donated to medical science after his execution. Lovely.




Comments



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...