REWIND: Babylon Zoo - Spaceman

A song which was impossible to escape during 1996. When I played it during my DJ sets (as a very young DJ at my Dad's club in Corsham), I'd often play an extended 12" version of the "Supervarian Mix" by Arthur Baker. 'Spaceman' was a 1996 chart-topping hit single by one-hit-wonders Babylon Zoo. It became massively popular after being featured on a Levis jeans advert and went straight to Number 1 on the UK singles chart in January 1996, selling 418,000 copies in the first week of release. At the time it was the fastest selling debut single by any artist in the UK. An album entitled 'The Boy with the X-Ray Eyes' was released soon after and debuted at #6 on the UK Albums Chart. I also remember being keen on the follow-up single 'Animal Army', which I haven;t heard in years. In 1999, a follow-up album was released, 'King Kong Groover', but singer Jas Mann decided not to promote the album as he was not getting support from his record label. Mann subsequently decided to move to India and work for an aid agency. The last I heard of him, he was working as a distributor for independent films. 




Comments



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...