COMPILATIONS: Mr Scotts Legacy Mix - LISTEN

OK this is an idea for a mixtape which was inspired by my mate and fellow Melksham Radio DJ Jason B. 

This idea is known as a Legacy Mix, and it involves picking a track from every year of your life to showcase your musical diversity and to tell a tale of your life...... the music that has had the most profound effect.Think of it like this.......You have to tell a story of your life with all your own personal anthems.
Because I was too young for any music to have had an impact on me before the 1990s, I have chosen the pre-1990's tracks that had an impact on me after i discovered them later in life. And even though there are songs from 2003 to 2007 that have a much bigger impact on me now rather than the ones i have chosen, I have gone with those particular choices as those were representative of a few years where I was deeply engrossed in punk rock, so I've made sure that period is documented in my mix.


You can listen to both parts of my Legacy Mix anytime for free right here....





And that all-important tracklisting is as follows....

PART 1:1984 - 1999

1984 - ECHO AND THE BUNNYMEN - THE KILLING MOON
In 1984 I had only just been born, so obviously I wasn't listening to the Bunnymen back then. But in about 1999 I discovered a cover version of this song and upon hearing the original it blew my mind.

1985 - THE POGUES - AND THE BAND PLAYED WALTZING MATILDA
Another one I obviously was too young to be listening to in 1986, since I was only 1 years old. But in 1994 or possibly 1995 I discovered The Pogues and became a massive fan of their raucous folk-punk.

1986 - THE SMITHS - BIGMOUTH STRIKES AGAIN
It wasn't until I ended buying 'The Queen Is Dead' from a car boot sale about ten years ago that I found out why this band were so loved. If it had to come down to choosing one Smiths song it would be this.

1987 - NEW ORDER - TRUE FAITH
I had heard 'Blue Monday' at some point in the early 90's, and that song served as my introduction to New Order. But it's this one that I first heard on a 1996 compilation called 'True Brit', a CD responsible for my first real trip into indie's late 80's/early 90's past.

1988 - THE FALL - BIG NEW PRINZ
John Peel's legendary Radio 1 show was where I first heard The Fall, back in 1999. But it's this track from the 'I Am Kurious Oranj' album that never fails to amaze me.

1989 - THE STONE ROSES - I AM THE RESURRECTION
Just musical perfection. I didn't know who The Stone Roses were until about 1997, but when I first heard that incredible debut album it was an experience that changed the way I thought about music from the 80's.

1990 - HAPPY MONDAYS - KINKY AFRO
Again a song I first heard on that 1996 'True Brit' compilation. That opening line is still one of the finest ever written and that swaggering groove is both full of attitude and packed with funk.

1991 - LEVELLERS - THE BOATMAN
I discovered the Levellers in 1995 when they released 'Just The One' and was hooked ever since. Over the last five years I must have seen them many times live and they certainly are one of the best live acts you'll ever see. This track is from my personal favourite Levs LP, the superb 'Levelling The Land'.

1992 - THE SHAMEN - BOSS DRUM
Now this is the point in the Legacy Mix where the music begins to represent a story of what I was listening to at the time. However throughout 92, 93 and 94 most of the music that had the biggest impact on me at the time was old stuff like The Beatles, Bowie and Queen. But out of all the stuff that was actually released in 1992 The Shamen's 'Boss Drum' album was a favourite of mine at the time and still sounds great now. That lyric "activate the rhythm that has always been within" could almost be symbolic of the year that music took hold of me and turned into my obsession.

1993 - SUEDE - ANIMAL NITRATE
Here's where the glorious Britpop years began, only at the time I didn't know it was coming. Again I spent most of 1993 listening to older music (such as classic reggae compilations) but when I heard this band play this song at the '93 Brit Awards it sounded so new and exciting.

1994 - BLUR - TO THE END
Blur's 'Parklife' was an album with songs that captured my attention in a big way, and out of the two big bands of the era Blur were the ones who caught my ear first. 'Girls And Boys' may have been the one playing at all the discos but this is a song that can reduce me to tears, not just because of the song's outstanding beauty but also due to the fact that this was such a golden era for music and maybe nothing will ever be as good again....

1995 - OASIS - HELLO
I was so lucky to have grown up during the mid 90s to experience the Britpop boom and those glorious carefree times. '(What's The Story) Morning Glory' was without a doubt the BIG album of the year, so big it was impossible to avoid. Also an album where every single track is equal in its brilliance, so since picking one is so difficult I've just gone for the album's opening track rather than one of the obvious big hits.

1996 - MANIC STREET PREACHERS - NO SURFACE ALL FEELING
I'd heard the name of this group about three years before but wasn't old enough for them to really mean anything to me. Then I discovered more about them through the media's coverage of Richey's tragic disappearance, and when the group returned as a three piece it was of course 'A Design For Life' that made me fall in love with the Manics. But after borrowing 'Everything Must Go' from the library, it didn't take long for me to buy my own copy of it and for 'No Surface All Feeling' to become one of my favourite songs of all time.

1997 - PRIMAL SCREAM - BURNING WHEEL
I first heard this band when they did 'Rocks'. Then I heard 'Loaded' and was surprised that this was in fact the same group. Then in 1997 when I heard the 'Kowalski' single I knew this band were truly special, I bought the album 'Vanishing Point' on tape and spent my first day with it walking around Bristol with it on my Walkman, all sorts of strange and exciting sounds filling my ears with the type of music that was way beyond indie rock. From that day I never heard music in the same way ever again... this album opened up a lot of different musical styles and directed me towards so many other types of music.

1998 - THE BOO RADLEYS - KINGSIZE
The title track from one of the decade's best albums and one of the most underrated records of all time. In the Autumn of 1998 this album was one I had playing every single night.

1999 - GENE - AS GOOD AS IT GETS
My favourite single of that year that shocked me when it didn't become a huge hit. It was at this point I realised that there are so many stupid people out there... they thought it was right to give Britney Spears and Steps hit singles yet they didn't have the decency and taste to go out and make this a hit!

PART 2: 2000 - 2010

2000 - RADIOHEAD - IDIOTEQUE
2001 - THE STROKES - SOMEDAY
2002 - THE CORAL - SHADOWS FALL
2003 - RANCID - MEMPHIS
2004 - MORRISSEY - FIRST OF THE GANG TO DIE
2005 - THE DEAD 60S - RIOT RADIO
2006 - FRENZY - ONE WAY TAXI
2007 - SUBHUMANS - THIS YEAR'S WAR
2008 - FRANK TURNER - LOVE IRE AND SONG
2009 - KASABIAN - WHERE DID ALL THE LOVE GO?
2010 - CHERRY GHOST - ONLY A MOTHER

Apparently the idea for the Legacy Mix was cooked up on a forum frequented by Jason B and as a result he came up with a mix with the following tracklist:

83- Kraftwerk-Tour De France (EMI)
84- Newcleus-Jam On Revenge(PRT Records, Sunnyview Records)
85- (The) Bangles-Following (CBS)
86- John Farnham-You're The Voice (RCA)
87- Rick Astley-Never Gonna Give You Up (PWL)
88- Bobby Brown-Don't Be Cruel (MCA)
89- The D.O.C. - The Formula

‎90- Londonbeat-I've Been Thinking About You (RCA)
91- Seal-In The Begining (ZTT)
92- Tasmin Archer-Sleeping Satellite (Acoustic Version) (EMI
93- Haddaway-Rock My Heart (Logic)
94- The E-The Experience Of Taking A Step Into Someone's Dreams (Special Logic Trance Edit)(Logic)
95- Oasis-She's Electric (Creation)
96- George Michael-Fast Love (Epic)
97- Krystal-Burning Flame (Flex)
98- Skinny-Failure (Cheeky)
99- Stoneproof-Everything's Not You (Stoneproof Edit)(VC Recordings)
00- Laurent Garnier-The Man With The Red Face (Funk D'Void Mix)(F Communications)
01- Ian Brown-F.E.A.R. (Instrumental)(Polydor)
02- Rammstein-Fuer Frei (Junkie XL Remix) (Island)
03- Freeland-Burn The Clock (Marine Parade)
04- Green Day-Boulevard Of Broken Dreams (Reprise)
05- Lemon Jelly-A Personal Message From Our Chairman (XL)
06- Nerina Pallot-Everybodys Gone To War (14th Floor/Chrysalis)
07- Heaven & Hell-The Mob Rules (Live)
08- Commix-Strictly (Metalheadz)
09- White Lies - E.S.T. (Instrumental)(Polydor)
10- Hurts-Wonderful Life (Sony)


Yes, a VERY eclectic mix from Melksham's number one dance music obsessive. Hopefully in time he will create this mix for all of you to listen to via Mixcloud. Go on Mr B, you know you want 
to.... 


Comments



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...